> Kassel School of Medicine >  E[...] > Questions and answers
Kontakt  |  Impressum  |  Datenschutz  |  Sitemap  |  A  A  A
Slideshow Image 1 Slideshow Image 2 Slideshow Image 3 Slideshow Image 4 Slideshow Image 5 Slideshow Image 6

Questions and answers about the study program



Can I visit the Kassel School of Medicine and the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Southampton before my application?


The Faculty of Medicine of the University of Southampton offers Open Days. You can find the current dates here. For an appointment to visit the Kassel School of Medicine or an individual consultation, please contact us.

Which application documents do I need?


To apply for a place in the BM(EU) study program please send us the electronic application form only[no certified copies of school certificates, resume etc.]. You can download the application form each year from April 1st here In the application form you put all the requested information to show that you fulfil the admission requirements. If you are invited to a selection day, you will be asked to bring the relevant documents.

Is there a Numerus clausus at the Kassel School of Medicine?


We require a “Abitur” grade average of 1,6 or better or another equivalent school leaving qualification with good or very good results. Graduates will be judged on their university results alongside the “Abitur”. The selection is not solely based on school grades. Next to the performance at school, non-academic criteria will also be considered.


I don’t have a graduation certificate at the submission deadline. Can I still apply at the Kassel School of Medicine?


Yes, that is possible. Please send your last midterm grades instead for all single subjects and the expected “Abitur” grade average.

Can I study at the Kassel School of Medicine when I have a “fachgebunde Hochschulreife/Fachabitur”(subject-linked university entrance qualification)?


No, that is not possible. The requirement to study at the Kassel School of Medicine is the “Abitur”/”allgemeine Hochschulreife” (general university entrance qualification) or equivalents.

I don’t have German “Abitur” but an equivalent qualification. Can I still apply at the Kassel School of Medicine?


Yes, that is possible; if we consider your qualification equivalent to the German “Abitur” for example English A-Levels or the European or international Baccalaureate.

Which language skills do I need to study at the Kassel School of Medicine?


If your mother tongue is German you have to prove your English skills. Detailed information can be found in the next section.

If your mother tongue is not German you have to also prove your German skills.

My mother tongue is not German and I received my university entrance qualification from a school outside of Germany. Do I need a German language test?


Yes. We prefer the „Test für Deutsch als Frendsprache“ (TestDaF), in which you have to at least reach the TDN 4 level.

Alternatively you can also take another approved language test and have to reach at least the B2 level of the common European framework of reference for language (CEFR).

Please note that the German test may not be older than two years.

Which English language tests are approved for the application?


We prefer the IELTS (academic)-test, which is offered several times throughout the year in 14 places across Germany. Minimum requirement is a score of at least 7,0 overall and 7.0 in each subsection. Further information can be found under www.ielts.org.

Other tests may also be accepted if you reached the equivalent score to C1 of the CEFR

For details:

You do not need an English test if you had English during 11th and 12th or 12th and 13th grade, respectively, as an advanced course or exam subject and had always at least 11 of 15 Points. The same applies to graduates of school and universities, which exclusively taught in English.

Please note that your English test may not be older than two years by the time of your application. If you have had English in school more than two years ago, you should also take an English test.

Do I have to take the TMS test?


The TMS is no longer required.

What is the procedure of the selection day?



On the selection day you will complete a group discussion, a written assignment and an interview. The interview will be held in English with representatives from the University of Southampton and the Kassel School of Medicine. Part of the interview will be held in German with applicants whose first language is not German or who speak several languages on mother tongue level.

Directly after the interview you will not receive feedback whether you have been accepted or not. This can only be done after all applicants have finished their interview.

I have a disability/health condition. Can I still study at the Kassel School of Medicine?


In Medicine we welcome applications from individuals with a disability or health problem. The University of Southampton has been closely involved with The Gateways Disability Project, where the General Medical Council has joined forces with 11 medical schools to develop guidance on encouraging people with disabilities into medicine.

The objective of the project has been to develop advice for medical schools on supporting disabled students into medicine and retaining them within the profession.
The guidance produced provides practical suggestions to help medical schools ensure that disabled students do not face unnecessary barriers to successful medical careers.

We have a special responsibility to ensure that all students admitted to the BMBS programmes will be eligible for registration by the General Medical Council upon graduation. It is important to us that our students are able to fulfil the rigorous demands of professional fitness to practise.

Any disability disclosed on your application form will not be used as part of the selection process.

Both your offer and continued registration on the programme will be conditional upon the completion of satisfactory health screening. Health screening is assessed in confidence by staff in the Occupational Health Department at Southampton General Hospital.

It is important that applicants disclose all medical/health conditions - if you are unsure whether to include health or medical information on your Occupational Health form please include it.


Tuition fees/financing

How much are the tuition fees and when do I have to pay them?


Currently, tuition fees are 13.000 Euro per year.
Tuition fees for the first year are due right after accepting the study place.

Can I receive BafÖG while studying at the Kassel School of Medicine?

Basically, BAfög can be received abroad if all requirements are met. The requirements for funding in foreign countries are different, so students who are not qualified to receive Bafög in Germany may be qualified to receive Bafög for the study period in Southampton.

“Auslands-BAföG” (Federal Law on support in Education) (partial tuition fees, transportation costs, monthly requirements according to the BAföG-conditions) can be requested for the first two years of studying in Southampton. The granting of the funding depends on the requirements of each individual case (i.e. nationality, permanent residence). Here you can find information from the Team “Ausbildungsförderung” for Great Britain and Ireland of the BAföG-department region Hannover.

Further information can be found in the next section under “What kind of support is available regarding tuition fees?”

What costs can I expect in addition to tuition fees?


You are responsible for your cost of living, study material and travel costs. You will also have to pay for your police checks in the UK and Germany. Please note that during the years 3 and 5 there will also be costs for travelling and accommodation in Southampton for assessments. The amount of costs will highly depend on your personal preferences and planning.

Can I work while studying?


The medical study at the Kassel School of Medicine has very high demands on time and learning. You should consider carefully whether you can manage the study and a part time job.

Why should I pay tuition fees at the Kassel School of Medicine when I can study for free at another university?


The medical study at the Kassel School of Medicine cannot be compared to the study at a public German university. It is typical in Great Britain that you pay for your study programme.

Do I need health insurance?



No, you do not need additional health insurance for your time in Southampton when you have your residence in England. In this case you can use the services of the British National Health Service (NHS). You have to register at a local general practitioner in Southampton though. Please note that the scope of services of the German health services might be different from the British health services. In addition you are insured for emergency treatment in Germany (not for stationary hospitalisations).

You need a German health insurance from the third year of study on in Kassel which you have to prove to the Kassel School of Medicine. Generally you should contact your current health insurance provider to make sure you will have health insurance after you return to Germany.



Where can I learn more about the content of the study?


Here you can find a detailed description of the contents of the study or an overview of the curriculum

Am I going to be enrolled at the Kassel School of Medicine or at the University of Southampton?


You are enrolled at the University of Southampton for the entire study time. Therefore, the University of Southampton is responsible for the proper conduct of the study and the awarding of the academic degree.

The Kassel School of Medicine (KSM) is one Medical School of University of Southampton (only Medical School in Germany). Southampton and Kassel works close together to offer this special BM(EU) study programme.


Is the Kassel School of Medicine part of the University of Kassel?


No, the Kassel School of Medicine is not part of the University of Kassel. However, both institutions cooperate closely in the support of students.

Why does the study at the Kassel School of Medicine only take five years?


The basic medical training has to include at least 5 years and 5500 hours according to the directives of the European Union (EU directive 2013/255/EG). Those are spread out to 6 years in Germany and most other countries, whereas in Great Britain it is only 5 years with the intensity of study increased. All UK graduates have to complete a supervised 6th year but this is after graduation in a paid job. Graduates of UK programmes must successfully complete this working year in order to gain full registration with the GMC.

Which exams do I have to take? Is there a “Hammerexam”?


Important exams take place in all years of the curriculum. The final exam in which your clinical and therapeutic skills will be tested takes place in January/February of the last year of study.

In addition, you have to pass every study module successfully to receive your degree at the end of study.

Students are given the opportunity to sit ‘formative’ examinations. These allow you to get used to the structure and identify your learning needs without them affecting your progression through the course. Because of this and the regular summative examinations you should be able to rectify any deficient in your knowledge and skills before it is too late.

What happens when I fail an exam?


You will get a supplementary opportunity for any examination or module you fail. If you fail an examination twice, and there are no extenuating circumstances, you will have to leave the programme.

Can I transfer to the Kassel School of Medicine from another school?


No, currently this is not possible because of the modularized study programme with only 24 places to study.

Can I transfer from to the Kassel School of Medicine to another school/university?


By accepting the place to study, you commit to completing the whole programme at the Kassel School of Medicine. Because the study program takes place at two locations, you will gain experience in two different health care systems. Additionally you can request, after prior approval, to do your student selected unit or your elective at another clinic or university.

Do I need liability insurance for the study at the Kassel School of medicine?


For liability claims from patients that will arise from the study you are insured by the University of Southampton and the Kassel School of Medicine. Many British medical students are additionally members of the Medical Defence Union that offer protection (only in Great Britain). We recommend this free membership. Whether you take private liability insurance for matters outside of the actual study is up to you.

Is there an accommodation in Southampton/Kassel?


You get a guaranteed place in a hall of residence in Southampton for the first year of study as long as you complete the accommodation paperwork by the deadlines provided. Most of your English classmates move to a shared flat during the second year of study. There are also many inexpensive options to start a shared flat in Kassel.

You will have to pay the cost for housing at both locations; it is not included in the tuition fees.

I want to stay in Southampton after the second year of study. Is it possible?


No. The University of Southampton is not able to offer places for the students of the Kassel School of Medicine for the study years 3 till 5. It is the intention of the Kassel School of Medicine that you get to know the British health care system but also the German health care system.

Which degree do I receive from the Kassel School of Medicine?


You will receive the internationally accepted degree Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (BMBS) from the University of Southampton. This is different from the German system where you have to take the state examination and do not receive an academic title.

If you completed you research project successfully during the third year of study you will also receive the academic title Bachelor of Medical Science (BMedSc).

After graduation

Can I start working as a doctor after graduation right away?



As it is a British degree, upon graduation you will be granted provisional registration with the British GMC. With the Provisional Registration at the GMC, the students can receive a temporary permit from a German Medical Examination Board to work as a doctor according to §10 of the Federal Medical Practitioners Act (partial approbation).

To receive a full registration from the GMC, BM(EU) graduates have to complete a Foundation Year Programme that is offered in Kassel. The Foundation Programme is a structured entry into the job, where the partially approbated doctors are working as junior doctors under supervision and receive a remuneration. The Foundation year offers the possibility to gain experience in different medical areas by doing two six month long rotation internships. At the same time, doctors will be given protected team for learning and must complete an electronic portfolio to show they have met the learning outcomes for the year.

After completing the Foundation Year, doctors apply for their full registration at the GMC, which entitles them, to apply for their full approbation. The Foundation Programme is closely monitored through quality assurance measures by the General Medical Council, the University of Southampton and the Wessex Deanery.


Other study programmes of this length end with a Master degree. Is my Bachelor degree inferior?


Everybody who successfully completed a medical study in England traditionally receives an academic degree Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery. This is a full-value degree and qualifies to work as a doctor internationally but it is not comparable to the Bachelor degrees at German universities introduced by the Bologna process. In Germany, the medical study ends with the state examination.

What are the Foundation Programme and the Foundation year?



The Foundation Year is a British feature and will help you through the transition period from being a student to being a doctor and your job entry through a structured programme. During the Foundation Year you will have to prove that you already performed specific clinical activities. At the same time, the provider of the Foundation Programme is obligated to make it possible for you to perform these activities. In addition, you will have experienced medical mentors on your side, so that you will have a contact person in case of arising problems.

More information about the Foundation Programme can be found here. Please note that the regular Foundation Programme in Great Britain takes two years. For the full English registration and the German approbation, you will only need the first year, which you will complete at the Klinikum Kassel. The Foundation Programme is closely monitored through quality assurance measures by the General Medical Council and the Wessex Deanery.


In which countries can I work as a doctor with the degree of BMBS after completing the BM(EU)?


You can work in all EU-states as a doctor with the British full registration or the German approbation because of the EU directive 2013/55. On top of that are states outside the EU who accept the degree for example Norway and Switzerland. Because of your bilingual education, you will have good chances in the English speaking world depending on the respective legislations.

Please note that the study is still being developed and single requirements can still change. Information’s are correct as of 24th January 2019. If you cannot find the answer to your question, please contact us.





facebook Twitter Youtube Futurity ISolution Blog
University of Southampton YouTube videos